Thursday, September 4, 2008

Here comes the sun...

I have heard it said that rain is a sign of "good luck"; not that I believe in sheer luck necessarily, but you get my point. I have never been one to keep up with the weather - so you can imagine how happy I was to look out my window this morning and actually see the sun. I only mentioned the "good luck" quote because it rained the whole first week of my freshmen year - so I'm hoping that counts for something. You see, rainy days and Mondays always get me down and since I was already apprehensive about being away from home, scary professors, extensive papers and so on - well lets just say the rain didn't help. But enough about the weather - I never understood why people - if they have nothing else to say - stick to their health and the weather, how immensely boring!
Speaking of boring - let's talk about English class, not that I am implying anything, in fact, I would have to say that class today was the exact opposite except for the immense headache I had due to lack of nourishment and sleep (which seems to be every college students complaint). So back to English - in the latter half of the class a question was brought up by Professor Randle - the question seemed simple enough - why a small college? Many answers were given - so we won't be just another number, I tend to want to learn more if I relate to the teacher, so we don't feel intimidated. These were all very good, thought provoking answers. As I sat in my desk another answer came to mind, one which I did not verbalize - to learn from those around me. Obviously in a larger institution one would be afraid to verbalize questions or arguments. In a smaller class size, however, one feels more unified as a whole. Henry J. Kaiser said it better than I ever could, "I make progress by having people around me who are smarter than I am and listening to them. And I assume that everyone is smarter about something than I am."
I propose that one learns a great deal more in a smaller class setting than one would in a larger - why? Well, it seems to me that in a larger class one would be understandably shy and intimidated and therefore would not ask many questions or pursue any verbal discussions(now, of course, there are exceptions to every rule). I find that each question asked by a fellow classmate only gives me a better understanding of that topic - learning by listening. Hopefully I have conveyed my thoughts clearly - but if not - well this is (after all) my first blog. Thanks for listening

3 comments:

Chance Byas said...

I enjoyed reading your insight about small classrooms. I do agree because that is what I have practiced. I am constantly listening and absorbing information especially in a place I am unfamilar with. Very insightful blog

The German Guy said...

Hey, I love this weather talking stuff! still, I got the same problem that I nearly never watch or listen to the weather forecast. But you know - that makes life more exciting, doesn't it? And did you ever realize how often the meterologists are wrong???

Anyway, to the more important part of your blog, one more thought came to my mind: students only will contribute if there is an inviting atmosphere for their answers and thoughts. and this atmosphere mostly has to be provided by the teacher! Dr. Randle, go ahead :-)

Chase said...

I'm the same way. I like to listen and process!