Friday, September 12, 2008

Just because I can...#2

In my mind college was supposed to be a liberating experience - you know - fly away from the nest...learn how to spread MY wings.It wasn't so much that I was being "held back" at home but I think that most students have that sense about them - I want to be out on my own, to make my own decisions. Though I never wanted to change who I was - I still felt that power -I was in charge of what I did, where I went, and who I went with. I didn't have to answer to anyone if I wanted to go make a Taco Bell run at two in the morning - and that gave me a sense of pride and importance.
Think about it - all this freedom - it will make or break who I am. Parties,guys,beer...I was once told that you'll never know if you like something til you try it...and now is the perfect time...no parents, no boyfriend...they're all at home and I can do as I please. After all college is about "finding yourself" right. I can wear what I want, read what I want - heck - the sky is the limit.
You're probably thinking (by this point) that woah - this is a good girl gone bad...and it sounds like that doesn't it? But nothing could be farther from the truth...my Dad always said "just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Yeah we're going to be asked and maybe even pressured to do things that are against what we've always been taught...try it...you never know...you just might like it...but think about it...it usually takes more self-control to say no than to say yes...but this is a Christian college!!! I'm not blind enough to think that things aren't just as accessable here as they would be at any public university...so I present a new challenge (to myself included)...it's a little word called -discernment...think about it...be who you are - not who people think you should be...

3 comments:

Joshua King said...

I agree with you. People should just be who they are. I don't always follow that, but I try to.

Caroline Jackson said...

wow sarah!
im impressed with the things you brought up...you have some great points...and i agree with you!

Chase said...

"be who you are - not who people think you should be..."

That speaks volumes. And would probably be a good facebook quote!